This blog was for my very first English class in college. Highschool-dropout --> college grad

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

i believe

I believe in an afterlife. Death is a transformation. In this afterlife I believe that we are reunited with our loved ones. I believe we are also given an opportunity to understand each other, forgive and thank each other. I think in this afterlife we no longer carry our physical bodies and egos, therefore it is much easier to love and relate to one another. Our resources are never in danger of depleting. We no longer have reason to fight. I believe we do hold on to some personality traits and even likes and dislikes. I think in the afterlife we have time to come to a deeper understanding of the physical world, and we chose when we are ready to move  forward. I do not think moving on is the right term, because you keep a place for earthly love in your heart. You never truly leave any loved ones here or there. You are not forced into forgiveness but are allowed a greater understanding of people who have wronged you, therefor forgiveness can happen naturally once you feel compassion for the other persons struggles.

I believe in moving forward, not moving on. People often use the term "moving on" when speaking of getting over something painful. When I think of what those words mean to me, I get a picture in my head of the runway or homeless man from the old cartoons with nothing but a red handkerchief full of measly possessions on stick leaving everything behind. In my life, I do not want to leave everything behind. I feel like moving forward after tragedy allows me to keep the future in mind, the past in my heart, and the present in the present. I do not have to give up anything I am not willing or able to give up. I do not want to leave any of my love or my memories behind. I will not leave the people I have physically lost behind. I think that it is possible to take the love that is still there and make it relevant in the here and now. I love the book we are their heaven, by Allison Debuis. I am not psychic and I am by nature a pretty skeptical person. Maybe certain things claimed by so called psychics could be explained away by body language and general statements. Still, I choose to believe. I miss my son, my mom and my dad so much that I regularly picture them sitting in the empty chairs in the room. I picture them learning or doing the hobbies they loved in life, only it is so much better. There are not physical limits. My son can hang with Micheal Jackson. My mom can run and jump and climb the most beautiful trees. My dad can hug his mom. I believe this because it makes me happy. 

I believe this way because I chose to. It is comforting to me. I also think it is logical and there is some science to back up the idea of a soul.  Specific beliefs on an afterlife are very diverse and are often heavily debated. People usually choose to relate to the beliefs or teachings that are the most comforting and believable to them. Many times we are influenced by our family and culture. I think it would be nice to identify with a group of like minded people. I understand why many enjoy organized religion, but for me, I have not found a specific religion that I identify with. From what I know, which is admittedly just a little, I can relate to different ideas of different religions. 



1 comment:

  1. This is a good beginning. In my Eng102 class we talk about the differences in I think, I know, I feel, and I believe. There are differences even though we often use those interchangeably. Be sure you are focused on one idea, a belief statement, and begin writing as much as you can about that topic to establish if you have enough support for an essay with a strong controlling thought. Keep pushing forward. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete